Understanding of the World
What is it?
Understanding of the World is about how children get to know about other people, the place where they live and about all aspects of the environment.
In the Revised Early Years Foundation Stage, Understanding the World is broken down into three aspects:
- People and Communities
- The World
So let us start with people and community, lots of children have brought in photographs of their families for our display. They have also talked with us, sometimes at great length, about their families.
This learning can be done in two ways, both incorporate the use of technology.
The idea is that the children tell us a little bit about themselves, where they live (please don't share your actual address) and who they live with.
The first way:
- Children introduce themselves (adult holding the camera, or selfie mode)
- " My name is...….. I live in …….. I live with my...…… I am …… years old. I like playing...…… My favourite colour is." Obviously more detail can be added or even a simple introduction is fine.
- Next the children talks about other members of the family (children pointing the camera at Dad.) " This is my Dad, he is very...… He likes...…. His favourite football team is...… He is brilliant at..... "And so on.
- This can then be continued with brothers, sisters, mums even pets!
The second way:
- The child could introduce themselves, as above
- Then point the camera at their family member and introduces them " This is my Mummy...…."
- Mummy tells the child a little bit about themselves
- (Don't feel like you have to be on the camera, you can just talk.)
- Continue with the same format for other family members.
- Use the ideas above as a framework if you would like to.
Again we hope this is a pleasant, fun activity which improves children's understanding of the world and their place within it.
Mr Ratchford would love to see your videos.