How has the landscape and land use of the UK changed over time?
- Using OS maps look at the land use of Sale and Greater Manchester today.
Can you make a list of all the different ways land is being used?
- Pick a contrasting region in the North West to where you live (for example The Lake District). Using OS maps what can you see that is different to Sale? Are there as many houses, shops or schools? What is the same? How is land used in this area? Where would you like to live and why? Print off or take photographs of how the land is being used near you.
Using the National Library of Scotland website look at how land has been used in the past
- Go back in time to The Stone Age. How was land mostly used during these times? Why do you think it has changed.
- Go back in time to The Iron Age. Compare and contrast the way people are now using the land. Has it changed? Why has it changed?
- Zoom forward to 1913. How is our land being used now?
A great book to look at together is 'A Street Through Time' by Steve Noon